Friday, August 21, 2009

Jerks (Selfish people)

I've just completed reading "Don't Let Jerks Get the Best of You" by Dr. Paul Meier. This is a heavy book. I find myself analyzing myself and almost everyone I know!! (mostly family members) There are 1st degree jerks (everyone is one of these sometime except the most "spiritually" mature of the universe.) Second degree jerks are pretty nasty (very selfish) Nth degree jerks don't even feel guilty when they abuse others. Dr. Meier is an Christian MD and a psychiatrist. He is a partner in the Minirth Meier Clinics. Some of us are masochists who set ourselves up to be hurt, victimized, or taken advantage of. (I don't see me here)

This book really makes you think about your family of origin, traumatic experiences you may have had in your life, and your immediate family. I'm still reeling from a lot of it but it is a very interesting and informative book! I would highly recommend it. Now I hope I can go on to some "lighter" fare. I'm so thankful for great books that teach us so much and can inspire us to change!

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately we are all surrounded by selfish people. It seems to be the way of the world, you know, "what can you do for me" attitude. Praise God for our Christian friends.

    ReplyDelete