Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 31

It is hard to believe that August is already over and everyone will be back to school in a week!

It has been a beautiful, hot summer. I wish it could last forever but I guess that won't happen. August has not been quite as busy for me as June and July (which were both very hectic) I have been getting some things done around the house when it hasn't been terribly hot. I'm contemplating what activities I will be involved with this fall. I'm trying not to rush into new adventures (as is my normal bent) I have not decided about attending or teaching a Bible study. I'm waiting on the Lord to give me specific direction on these things. For now, I plan to be concerned with my husband my family, my church and my work at home. I'm thinking of delving into some kind of study just for myself. I am starting to read a little more than I did earlier this summer. I have completed Gary Chapman's The Love Languages of God, Bill Hybels, Just Walk Across the Room and parts of several others. I'm also reading Max Lucado--a book that has three books in it and I'm just about finished the last one, Next Door Savior. I plan to start a biography soon of John Wesley or one of the other old timers. I try to read a few biographies each year.

If you are reading/enjoying these posts, please let me know and give me feddback as that means a lot to me. Thanks. I trust that your fall "new year" planning is coming along nicely and that you are set for the changes that will come with new beginning, new schedules!

5 comments:

  1. Peter and I have been reading/listening to "John Adams" by McCullough. It's very interesting to see how many of the present day tendencies in this country were there at the very beginning. Also, it's been a bit eye opening to realize that the founding of this country wasn't as smooth, clean cut and Christian as some make it sound. Biographies can be very informative!

    I read John Wesley's biography some years ago. Have you ever read anything by Isobel Kuhn?

    --Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am familiar with Isobel Kuhn but it has been years. I have recently gotten into the biography of Queen Noor. I don't confine myself to Christian biographies (although I don't read non-fiction--Christian or otherwise) but I like to read about famous people. I'm learning a lot about Arabs/Muslims etc-- I'm sure you are already very familiar with some of the things I am learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I meant to say I don't read fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) I kind of figured out what you meant.

    I read some fiction, but mostly kids' books. I know that's weird, but it gives my brain a rest from the heavier stuff. I also have a couple Jane Austin books I like. Most of what I read is non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should say most of what I read otherwise is non-fiction. I do read a fair amount of kids' fiction. ;-) Just finished reading the Little House books again - though they are not fiction. It was fun to read about some of their self-sustaining methods.

    ReplyDelete